Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

This Blog Has Moved and Joined Eggs In My Pocket Blog

This Blog Has Moved and Joined Eggs In My Pocket Blog
Click on photo to come visit me there!

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Composting

The dirt in this area is made up with clay and sand, when there are not rocks. One thing I am really working on is trying to make better soil in the garden areas.
I have a wonderful book by Jerry Baker. In one section, he talks about composting. I have been following what is described in the book. What my chickens do not eat, gets tossed out into the compost pile, such as banana and potato peels, onion skins, grass clippings , leaves, tea and coffee grounds, and egg shells. I have been composting for much of the year and I can already see the good results.

This year I planted a large zinnia garden. I love zinnias for their beauty and easiness to grow. I plan to use much of the compost in next year's zinnia gardens. I had such a wonderful harvest of beautiful blooms this year. I also have a good quantity of seed. I plan to grow several large zinnia gardens this next spring...with the hopes of selling the flowers at the local farmer's market and to local florists. The farmer's market will be a new thing for me to try as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:1