Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

This Blog Has Moved and Joined Eggs In My Pocket Blog

This Blog Has Moved and Joined Eggs In My Pocket Blog
Click on photo to come visit me there!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Garden rewards

Although I have taken on a full time job...........which I love...............and by the end of my shift I have found myself exhausted at times...............
I have still managed to stay on top of my gardening and to get the things taken care of that I need to do in it. This weekend I was able to harvest the radishes I had planted! They are a little smaller than the ones I buy in town, but they taste wonderful!
These radish seeds came from Hometown seeds, in a survival package they sent to me. I have to say that these seeds are wonderful! They all sprouted when the instructions on them have said they would and the plants seem very healthy. This weekend I planted the last of the packages. I planted Kentucky Wonder Beans and Sweet Corn. I planted squash, zucchini, tomato, pepper and cucumber last week in containers in the greenhouse. The cucumbers have already sprouted and I will transplant them to the garden in about a couple of weeks or so. I have never had much luck with corn. In the early stages of the plant, the large moths that live in this area , lay their eggs inside of the stalks. The larvae, when hatched, them eat on the new corn. What the worms do not get, the birds destroy. So I am anxious to see how this turns out this year. All together, I have been very pleased with this seed company. They send such a great amount in the packages, that I still have so much seed left for future planting, and it looks like I might have a wonderful harvest from their seeds.


8 comments:

  1. It is so exciting when all those seeds start poking up from the earth! The radishes do look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The radishes look wonderful
    I can't wait to hear about the rest of the seeds
    My neighbor works full time as an accountant
    the rest of the time she has her hands in the dirt
    gardening is what makes her happy
    all summer and fall she walks up and down the street giving away the fruits of her labor (o:

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so much futher ahead than us. I am hoping to get things in the ground around Mother's Day.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kathleen, sounds like you have found the perfect seed company. Nothing like the crunch of home grow veggies. I have no luck with corn in the summer here. If a hot easterly wind comes it just knocks there sock off. Happy gardening.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your radishes look so good! I'm really looking forward to reading about the progress of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so pretty, and I hope you aren't working too hard. I'm fighting with allergies and can't even step outside today, but I am going to fix that tomorrow. I need to get out and plant something. I can't have corn because as soon as it's just beautiful and ready to pick, the squirrels devour it. Even in the city, we have to compete with the critters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best hobby to follow is gardening and harvesting. Keeping a pond is always soothing as it is delightful to watch fishes play and swim and it brings the positive energy in us.
    Pond Liners

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:1